If you’re looking for the best way to build a bed, then I’m glad you’ve found this website and I strongly suggest you keep reading because in this blog, I am going to share with you my over 30 years of experience in woodworking that is going to help you build a bed.
Building a bed can be a truly rewarding experience. If you have ever been to a store shopping for beds, then you know just how overpriced they can be! Also, it is hard to find a bed built with the fine craftsmanship of the olden days or something that fits your specific needs. Everything is so generic these days. In this overview, you will learn the basics of bed building so you can decide if it’s the right project for you.
Is It Hard To Build A Bed?
It may seem ambitious, but honestly, even a beginner woodworker can build a bed. Advanced woodworkers might try more challenging designs or styles as they progress.
What Type of Wood Should I Use To Build A Bed?
- Southern Yellow Pine, the easiest to use, is generally the least expensive type of wood to build a bed.
- Hardwoods like Maple or Oak are sturdier but are more expensive and take more skill to work with.
- Birch is a middle ground between the two. If the bed plans you choose call for plywood, birch is a good choice. It is commonly available in 3/4 inch, veneer plywood and finishes well.
(To read more about choosing wood, click on the “Choosi
ng Wood” tab menu at the top of the page.)
Where Can I Find Build Bed Plans?
What Are the Steps In Building A Bed?
- Download the plans
- Buy the materials
- Cut the wood
- Make any decorative designs
- Sand the wood
- Stain the wood
- Assemble the bed frame
- Attach foot and head boards
Typically What Supplies Will I Need To Build A Bed?
- 8 bedrail hanger sets
- 4 wood pieces for foot and head posts
- 2 wood pieces for the foot & head rails
- 6 wood pieces for the support blocks
- 2 wood pieces for the side rails
- 2 wood pieces for the support rails
- 3 wood pieces for the support beams
- 2 pieces of plywood
- 2 boxes of woodscrews
- Sand paper
- Wood Stain
How Much Does It Cost To Build A Bed?
The average cost of building your own bed ranges from $40 to $100. The cost ultimately depends upon the style of the bed and the type of wood and stain you buy.
What Types of Beds Can I Build?
- Bunk – Two or more beds stacked on top of each other
- Loft – Similar to a bunk bed, with storage rather than a lower bed
- Platform – A solid, flat bed with surfaces resting directly on the floor
- Captain’s – A platform bed with storage drawers underneath
- Murphy – A wall bed that can be folded into a closet for storage
- Four Poster – A bed with four posts, one in each corner, supporting a tester
- Box – Has a roof, sides, ends and front opening where shutters fold out
- Waterbed – A heavy-duty frame that will support a water-filled mattress